Air Cooled Generators 101
2023 Course Dates (choose one):
- September: 9/11 – 9/15
- December: 12/11 – 12/15
Monday 1:00pm – 4:30pm
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday – 7:00am – 4:30pm (1 Hour Lunch daily)
Friday 7:00am – 12:00pm
In this class, we will assemble an Air-Cooled Generator piece by piece, discovering the function of each component, how they work, how to test them, and how they fit in the operation of the whole of machine.
This class will be thirty-six hours, very hands-on, and very interactive, with a significant element of coaching throughout the entirety of the class. This class will have a little pre-requisite study surrounding the basics of four-stroke engine operation, and basic electricity. It will also have nightly homework pertaining to the content of this class.
1. Assemble a generator set one piece at a time.
2. Learn the function of each part as we assemble them
3. Performing a basic visual inspection and test of the integrity of each component
4. Performing an electrical test of the electrical components
5. Wiring up the generator set one wire at a time, talking through its purpose
6. Set up/program the generator controller from scratch.
7. Set up the voltage regulator
8. Set up the engine governor
9. Perform full operational testing following generator build
10. Perform a Minor Inspection on the generator that we just built
• General Review of Power Generation
• Prime movers
• Fuel systems
• Cooling systems
• Exhaust systems
• Controller logic
• Gen-set communication/wiring
• Gen-set communication/wiring
• Controller programming
• Generator set testing
• How to perform a good Minor PM
1. Have six plus months in the field
2. Have a basic understanding of air cooled generator operation.
At the end of this class, the student should have a significantly increased:
1. Understanding of how an air cooled generator set works
2. Base of knowledge to troubleshoot out of
3. Understanding of the why’s of a good PM inspection
Course Tool and Safety Gear Requirements:
1. Steel / Composite Toe Boots
2. Safety Glasses
3. Hearing Protection
Regular Rate – $1,920 per student
NEGDA Member Rate – $1,620 per student
All registration fees are to be paid in full prior to the first day of class. Please send checks payable to Mongoose Power Solutions, c/o OPA! to PO Box 13, Spofford, NH 03462
Hotel Reservations are not included with registration and are the responsibility of the attendee/employer to arrange. A list of nearby recommended accommodations can be found here.
Course Instructor & Director of Education, On Site Power Academy
Jamie Claudeo Jr. started turning wrenches under his fathers watchful eye when he was just 10 years old climbing in and out of large commercial boilers. By end of high school he was attending vocational school for electrical trades and before graduating succeeded in taking first place at the state level SkillsUSA competition. Having a love for engines and machinery, he eventually moved into working on large trucks for Peterbilt after attending Universal Technical Institute in Pennsylvania and Arizona. After Hurricane Sandy decimated the northeast in 2012 he eventually made his way into Power generation, working for a small company out of NJ. His strong understanding of both electrical and engines allowed him to move up quickly – taking on large projects, and hard to troubleshoot problems across several states until eventually choosing to start his own business in 2022.
During his free time, Jamie enjoys traveling the world, dark beer, hiking, rock climbing, running and tinkering with old machinery. On more quiet relaxed evenings you can find him curled up on a giant bean bag chair enjoying a good video game.
Fill out the form below and we’ll get you registered.
Have a question? Want to join our email list?
Fill out the form below: